Frequently Asked Questions
How much are the tickets?
- Adults: $13
- Concession: $11
- Children 4 to 16 years: $9
- Kids 0 – 3 years: Free
- Carload: $30 ( Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday)
Carload: $25 (Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday )
This is the best price for 3 or more people in the one car. It applies for up to 7 people, but all must have seatbelts i.e. be seated legally. This applies to Single feature sessions; this is the maximum price you will pay per session. It does not include two single sessions. A discount additional ticket is available if you wish to see more than one single session on the same night.
- $18 per person
- $10 per person
Add a 2nd film
- $5 per person
- $10 Per carload
We do have credit card facilities at the ticket box.
G – General
PG – Parental Guidence
M – Mature Audiences
MA15+ – 15 & under must be accompanied by an adult or guardian
R – Restricted admission only over 18 admitted
When are you open?
We are open every night of the year.
Can I book in advance?
We do not take advance bookings. We are unable to reserve a seat like a cinema, so it is first come first served. We always recommend you arrive 20 mins before the session time and 30 mins prior on Saturdays and holidays. When we fill up, it is only the latecomers that miss out!
Do you sell online tickets?
No we don’t offer online ticketing; all tickets are sold at the ticket-box only. We do sell a gift voucher that may be ordered online for a birthday, Christmas or other special occasion. It must be exchanged for a ticket at our ticket box on the night of use. It takes up to one week to arrive in your mailbox.
How early should I arrive?
We always suggest arriving 30 mins prior to the session start time on weekends and holidays. We do sell out often due to our low prices so don’t arrive right at the session start time without expecting some delay in entering the drive-in. Nobody who arrives 30 mins prior ever misses out, only those who arrive at or near the actual session time face that risk. Weekday sessions are not as busy but the ticket box and Lunar Cafe can still be conjested right at show start time.
Where is the Lunar drive-in located?
We are at 115 South Gippsland Hwy, Dandenong. Click on the map on this page for an enlargement. We are now closer to you than ever before, from Eastlink take the Dandenong Bypass Road and it will take you almost to our driveway entry. We are also less than 20 minutes from Chadstone on the Monash freeway. Melway reference 95 H2.
Why visit the Lunar Drive-in?
The benefits of the drive-in theatre compared to a multiplex cinema are many:
- No need for a babysitter, bring the kids and let them enjoy the show or fall asleep in the back seat!
- Carload pricing. A family of 5 (or 6 or 7) is only $30 here, it is over $80 at Village or Hoyts!
- No parking problems, drive right in and select your spot.
- You can talk during the movie, even on your phone!
- Eat, drink and relax in your own private Gold Class (car). Enjoy Burgers and hot snacks from our Lunar Cafe during the show.
- Come dressed as you are.
- Cheaper movies! Bargain sessions every night and the best value family carload tickets around. See pricing above.
- You control the sound level, never too loud or too soft.
- Bring doonas, pillows and sleeping bags, lie down in the back of your van, wagon or ute.
- Sit on outdoor chairs next to your car or on our lawns on warm nights.
- Bring a walkman or portable stereo so you can wander around and never miss any of your movie.
At what time do the gates and Lunar Cafe open?
Generally they open at least 30 minutes before the first session of the night. On Fridays, Saturdays and holidays the gates and Lunar Cafe open about 60 minutes before the first session. The opening time is listed with the session times on our home page.
What happens if it rains?
We operate in all weather conditions except heavy fog. Many enjoy spending a cool rainy evening snuggled in their car under the doona, we are often told it adds a great atmosphere when misty rain sweeps in!
Low Clearance Entry
Our ticket box verandah has a 2.2 meter height clearance. Use the far right or far left lanes if you have a 4wd with roof racks, a tall van or truck. Do not try to enter under the verandah thinking you might make it; you won’t!
Can I bring in outside food?
Whilst we do permit outside food in the drive-in theatre, we offer a full range of quality hot snacks at affordable prices in the Lunar Cafe. Hamburgers, hot dogs, donuts, chips, popcorn, soft drinks and choc-top ice creams are just some of the items on offer, click on the Lunar Cafe section for more details. The Lunar Cafe helps keep this drive-in open as most of your ticket money goes straight back to Hollywood. Your support of the Lunar Cafe is very much appreciated.
What happens if I speed or do burnouts in my car?
You, and all ocupants of your car are out, straight out, without refund.
How Do I Apply For a Job?
We accept applications for positions any time and hire staff once or twice per year. All applications must have details of education and previous experience (if applicable), valid references, your availability for work and a recent passport-type or ID picture. You can post it or email it to us – details in our “Contact Us” section.
Where can I find the session times?
The home page of this website has our current session times. Our 24hr session info line is 9706 9988. We are also on facebook, Your Movies, Melbourne Citysearch and Yahoo movies also display our session times along with many other websites. Our giant highway sign at the entrance displays current films and times.
Can I stay and see a second movie?
Yes, you can add any second film for only $5 per person. You may purchase these tickets for the 2nd movie at time of entry or if you are still in the drive-in. You cannot leave and return and receive these $5 tickets.
Can I bring along a BBQ?
No, BBQ’s are not allowed at the drive-in.
Is my dog allowed at the drive-in?
Yes, you may bring your dog as long as it is on a lead at all times and does not enter the cafe. Doggy doos must be collected; families play on our grassed areas!
Can I swear loudly, upset others around me or disobey a request by management?
Only if you want to find yourself kicked out without refund.
Can I bring my outdoor chairs?
Yes, you may bring outdoor chairs. We require they be placed in front of your vehicle. If they are alongside your vehicle they may not be seen in the dark and another car may try to park in that position.
Can I remain in the drive-in after my movie finishes?
At the conclusion of the session we require you to exit the drive-in within five minutes.
How do I listen to the sound?
The speakers have been retired and we broadcast the sound in FM stereo. If your car does not have an FM radio, you can hire one free from us; a deposit of $40 or a drivers licence is required.
What happens if I try to sneak someone in inside my boot?
Everyone in the vehicle will be ejected from the drive-in without refund and you risk being charged with theft. You’ll also look like a total loser in front of your mates, girlfriend and the other customers as we drag you out. Please don’t try to steal from us; we’ll guarantee it is a far from pleasurable experience for you.
Can I bring in a video camera or camcorder?
We take seriously the issue of copyright infringement. Our theatres are patrolled nightly by our security staff and those caught using a camcorder, mobile phone, PDA or ANY recording device whilst films are running will be reported to police and AFACT (the government movie anti-theft organisation), they will also be ejected without refund. You may take still pictures of your family and friends, but only up until the session start time. If you see anyone recording sound or images from our screens let the manager know immediately and you’ll receive a reward.
Why aren’t your sessions advertised further in advance?
We generally advertise session times about 1 – 2 weeks in advance. We constantly strive to bring the most popular films to you and we need to continually assess both our own and the national boxoffice figures to ensure we do this. Locking in sessions too far in advance takes away our flexibility. For an indication of upcoming films, see the Movie Info. page.
How can I advertise on the Lunar Drive-in screens?
We can now offer very affordable full motion on-screen advertising to local advertisers. The rates have been slashed. Contact us direct from our contact page and we’ll send you details.
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
IF YOU DO NOT ACCEPT THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
1. If you do not accept these terms and conditions immediately exit the complex.
2. If you are in a vehicle and cannot turn it around you may be subjected to these conditions.
TRADE PRACTICES ACT 1974(Act)
3. None of these conditions of entry exclude, restrict or modify the application of the Act and each of these conditions will apply, except where it is established by a court of competent jurisdiction that the owners of this complex and its management (“We”) are liable to you under the Act or any warranties implied by law which we may not contract out of.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
4. As stated above, subject to condition number 4, you entered and use the complex at your own risk including the risk of any injury, death, theft, loss or damage.
5. We are not liable to you for personal injury or death occurring in the complex, theft or loss of or damage to or caused by a vehicle (whether occurring in the complex or elsewhere), except to the extent that it was caused by our negligence or wilful act or omission.
6. You and each person who comes into the complex releases us from all claims and liability in respect of and indemnifies us fully against claims by or liability to any other person and any expense We incur in respect of any personal injury, death, theft, loss or damage to the extent that it is lawful under the act and the other applicable laws.
7. You are responsible for securing your vehicle in the complex.
8. None of our employees, agents or contractors have authority to accept any goods for safe custody and we will not be liable in any case for any loss of or damage to any article alleged to have been left with us or any of our employees, agents or contractors for safe custody regardless of how that loss or damage is caused.
COMPLIANCE WITH SIGNS AND DIRECTIONS
10. You must not obstruct the entry or exit of any other vehicle.
11. You must not leave rubbish in the complex except in any bin provided by us for that purpose.
12. You must follow signs and instructions by us and any person appointed by us to control the complex and adhere to and follow any directions and regulations displayed in the complex or otherwise communicated to you from time to time.
13. Your vehicle must not exceed height restrictions under the box office awning. If your vehicle is over 2.2 meters in height you must enter to the right of the main ticket box, stop your car, and purchase your ticket by walking to the ticket box window.
14. We have the right to enter, move (including to an outside area), drive, prevent the exit or movement of, or have towed away any vehicle. We are not liable for any damage caused to your vehicle if we move it.
15. We have the right to refuse or terminate entry without refund .
16. Tickets must be retained at all times.
17. Any form of dangerous and or reckless driving such as drifting , wheel spinning, and burnouts will result in the ejection of the vehicle and all its occupants. A report will be made to the hoon hotline Victoria and registration details, vehicle make and model will be passed on. Any supporting video footage will also be passed to police.
18. No photography, filming or video recording is permitted without prior consent.
19. Children under 12 years must be supervised at all times when using the playground . We will not be liable for personal injury incurred or death while us ing the playground . Inappropriate behaviour, running and jumping from equipment will not be tolerated in the playground.
20. Each vehicle is entitled to one space.
21. Legal limits apply. Each passenger must have an individual seat belt.
22. Footwear must be worn at all times.
23. Be considerate of people around you. Do not shout or raise your volume excessively. Obscene language will not be tolerated.
24. Laser pointers are forbidden. Use will result in the ejection of the vehicle and all occupants.
25. Children under 12 years must be supervised at all times.
26. Your vehicle must not exceed 20km/h at any time whilst driving in the complex.